Uniform Sonication Achieved in New Lab Ultrasonic Cleaner
Uniform sonication - that is unimpeded sound distribution in an ultrasonic cleaner - is a desirable feature when processing lab samples and cleaning medical and surgical instruments. Uniform, or homogenous sonication means that lab samples or instruments processed or cleaned in the unit receive the same ultrasonic energy during the cycle regardless of their position in the bath. It is a key feature of the new multifunctional Elmasonic P30SE unit available from iUltrasonic.
How Uniform Sonication is Achieved
Researchers at Elma Ultrasonics found that drain ducts found on most benchtop ultrasonic cleaners caused a decrease in ultrasonic energy. Experiments using a drain-equipped unit disclosed that cavitation in a beaker suspended on the drain side of the tank was not nearly as vigorous as in the beaker on the opposite side. Based on this the 0.75 gallon Elmasonic P30SE has no drain and achieves uniform sonication.*
The Multifunctional P30SE Ultrasonic Cleaner
Among key features of the Elma P30SE is the capability to operate at 37 or 80 kHz ultrasonic frequencies. Operators select the lower frequency for more vigorous cleaning, mixing, dissolving and degassing tasks or 80 kHz for cleaning delicate capillaries, highly finished surfaces or for longer cleaning cycles. The unit allows users to program an automatic 30-second frequency switch-over for simultaneous coarse and fine cleaning.
Other Useful Features and Benefits
Housed in an attractive, easily cleaned stainless steel case, the Elma P30SE offers these additional user-activated features allowing operators to customize sample prep and cleaning processes:
- Time and temperature settings with "set" and "actual" shown on the LED display
- A normal mode for mixing, dissolving and dispersing
- A pulse mode for intermittent high-intensity bursts to remove stubborn deposits
- A sweep mode for uniform distribution of cavitation action throughout the tank. (Note that Sweep enhances top-to-bottom uniformity of cavitation in the tank; eliminating the drain enhances side-to-side uniform sonication.)
- A degas mode to remove air from new solutions, HPLC samples and solvents
- Adjustable ultrasonic power to match to sensitive surfaces
- A pause function to examine or remove bath contents
- Auto-start to initiate uniform sonication when the set bath temperature is reached
- An automatic switch-off after 12 hours of continuous operation or if the bath reaches 90⁰C (194⁰F)
These and other features are accessed and activated via the comprehensive control panel on the Elmasonic P series of ultrasonic cleaners. Set and actual parameters are shown on the control panel digital display.
Contact the iUltrasonic cleaning professionals for more details on the P30SE ultrasonic cleaner and for answers to your questions on ultrasonic cleaning equipment and cleaning solutions.
*This feature is not available on larger capacity cleaners.